Sunday, May 8, 2011

An Inconvenient Truth: Darwin’s theory of Evolution

               Since I learned about Darwin’s theory of Evolution, I wondered how this can happen and something did not make sense to me. Darwin’s theory says all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor. Even birds, bananas, fishes, and flowers are all related. He estimated that humans branched off from a common ancestor with chimpanzees several million years ago.  This means all human beings today belong to the same subspecies, Homo sapiens. The animals change their characteristics to help them survive in their best suited environment. Gradually, the species changed over time. This was also the case for humans.
                I could not understand and believe the fact that my ancestors were an animal like chimpanzees. If our ancestor was a chimpanzee, how can chimpanzees be alive today? Why didn’t they change their characteristics to humans?
                It bothers me more because at my Sunday school, I learned that God created humans while creating the earth. If the evolution theory is true, then who wrote the bible? And where did the chimpanzees come from? There should have been something that created the first chimpanzee to evolve into a human.
                The school and the church say totally different things about how humans were created. I think this is why I got more confused because I heard different opinions from both sides. If I had to choose between evolution and creationism, I would choose creationism just because I think this makes more sense to me. I believe that there should be some spirit or object that started the earth and human life.
                I wish there is a right answer to this question. The fact that I do not know where I came from really bothers me. I wish someone could find the real solution for me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment