Monday, May 2, 2011

Best of week: Water shortage

             The best thing that we did in class was Marina’s TED presentation. She talked about the water is drying out in the rivers and we will not have enough fresh water in the future. Her presentation was related to the topic that I learned in Environmental Science class. There is only 2.966% of fresh water that is inaccessible, but people do not realize water is a limited resource.
            I thought about how much water I use just one day. I take shower, drink water, use toilet, brush my teeth, give water to plants, and do laundry. I did not realize how much water I use every day and just take it for granted. Sometimes I just throw away drinkable water, take shower for long time, and do not turn off water while I brush my teeth.
            Marina’s TED presentation and Environmental science made me to reminded me and thinks about importance of water. Therefore, I decide to not waste water as much as I did before. I should turn off water when I do not need, take shorter showers, upgrade to a low flush toilet, and turn the tap off while I brush my teeth.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting how you learned about water conservation in AP Environmental. It is true how we exploit the use of fresh water, even though there is very little of it. If we consider how much water we use in a day, the numbers can be catastrophic in reference to how many people brush their teeth with the water running and how many people make copious flushes after utilizing the toilet. In essence, I do the same, and it's all in the habit. I can only wonder if we all put in the effort to alter our habits, how much water can be saved. This posting really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I think the point you're making here is very interesting and also important in terms of sustainability. I also use a similar amount of water daily which is so much compared to the average person in the world. I think your blog puts things in perspective and further shows how lucky we are to live in a place with all resources we can possibly want. The fact that we use these resources without really even thinking about it is somewhat alarming. This is definitely an eye-opener and something that will help me keep my life in perspective

    ReplyDelete