Monday, October 18, 2010

Metacognition: College essay

When I became a senior, it was time for me to think about college. I searched colleges and looked up essay questions. Over the weekend, I sat down and tried to write. I just wanted to get done with it so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. However, I did not know how to start. The questions that they were asking were all similar: “who inspired you the best?” “What interests will you bring to our campus?”, and ‘describe an experience that demonstrates your character.” They were looking for essays that show my personality and stories that might impact my learning.
            While I was writing the essays, I realized that I never thought about myself deeply before. I never really thought about the person who had an impact on my life, what I am good at, or how I affected my community. I was astonished by myself because I do not know myself very well. I decided to brainstorm before I started to write. I sat in my room quietly, and jotted down what I have accomplished in my high school years, and how I have changed through those accomplishments.
            I wrote more than one page about myself. After I made an outline, I learned things about myself that I never thought about before.  The most difficult part of the college essays was to write a personal story. After I came up with an idea, I was able to write smoothly. I needed to work on my essay more personally so that the college admission can learn about me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment